Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Blog post 1: 1/15/15

I have already begun to enjoy this class so far. In fact, before this class began I was pretty excited based on the books we had to buy. I love to read a lot of different types of media, so I was even more excited when I saw the types of things we would be studying and doing. i really liked some if not all of the poems in the poetry packet we were given. I believe even if something doesn't strike a complete balance with me, doesn't necessarily mean it is a good or bad piece, it just means it's different. I just don't believe in 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to poetry and other forms of creative writing. I think this is a good way of thinking, because everyone has a different image of what they are trying to portray. With this, I am going to go through some of the poems that I enjoyed the most and what they portray to me. 


The first poem that I liked in particular was the very first one in the poetry book titled 'Geology of Water". I really liked this poem because of the type of language used, and how descriptive it is. It gives the viewer a lot of different ideas about what the poem could mean also, which is really cool to me. My favorite line was "The sea grew old in me, the blood as salt and turbulent, as unpacific". I liked a lot about this line. To me it reminds me of what it feels like when you lay in the ocean. If you have ever done this, it almost feels like you are one with the sea. The rest of the poem builds on this dark idea that evolution is an active process and can't necessarily save every living thing. It's really hard to figure out exactly what is going on or what is being said by this poem, which is kind of nice. 



I also really liked the poem "Lens". Lens to me is about trying to find transparency within a person and what they think about. This is a near impossible feat in my opinion. People are complex creatures, and what we see is usually quite a bit different than what someone else sees. I think this poem is really trying to show that it's especially hard to see into another person's lens because our own lens is often times cloudy. I saw this clearly in "you whom I have lied to, you to whom I've told the truth, some version of turning light." This line shows that everyone has a different view that isn't always clear or truthful, it's just another view. 


To wrap up this post, I'm going to talk about my favorite poem so far; "What is the shape of your body?". Although it is very short, I loved some of the imagery and language that was evident in the poem. I think it's about someone who is struggling with finding their own identity and what that might mean. Finding who you are is really hard, and finding that acceptance into your own head is even harder. I don't exactly know why I see this as the meaning for the poem, it just feels that way to me. A line that really ties it all together is the last "(But you can't jump into the earth.) yes you can. Push harder." This makes me feel really deeply the homage to self identity that the author may have been feeling. It's almost saying "(but you don't know yourself, so don't get any deeper) yes you can. Try harder." 

No comments:

Post a Comment